Sunday, June 14, 2009

Flowers and Dragonflies

The Rosa mulitflora is just starting to flower. When in full bloom it covers the trees and bushes of Stid Hill making a great place to get married (if you can time it right). I hope I can get a picture which will capture the real beauty of the location. So far it has escaped my camera. It is important to me to get this image because the plant is tremendously invasive and, with it's rose bush prickers, will rip up your skin on the trail and is smothering and killing the plants it just grows over. For about a week each year it is beautiful, the rest of the year it is just ubnoctious.
This is only the second time I have seen an Indigo Bunting (Passerina cyanea). Actually I may have seen many but because the are so dark against the sky I didn't realize it.
Late last summer I realized I had taken several pictures of different dragonflies and began to wonder how many there were. I then made an effort to photograph as many as I could. I am up to about 18 different species to date. A big maybe on that number because they are very difficult to identify and I make no claims to have done it correctly. This is an Ashy Clubtail(Gomphius lividus), I think.
This guy is a Hyacinth Glider (Miathyria marcella).

No comments:

Post a Comment